Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Life is hard sometimes.

Today was one of those days.  Woke up feeling a little under the weather.  Busy day at work, made worse by not feeling 100%.  Rough night being and doing parental things.  Tough to find beauty in the day when you are constantly wiping your nose, have those itchy, tired sick eyes and have to have a tough, but crucial conversation with your teenage daughter.

But life isn't always supposed to be easy.  It's not continuous fun and games.  There will be hard times.  There will be times when we are required to do things we don't want to do.  There will be times when we have to do the hard thing.  Strength is not achieved on the easy path.  Character is forged in the cauldron of adversity and affliction.

As I reflect on what was beautiful about today, I take heart in one of my favorite quotes.

"Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. Often we can’t see the Lord’s hand in our lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

What Made Your Day Beautiful?

2 comments:

  1. I love you. Another quote that's been going through my head tonight is from a Jason Mraz song I was listening to today..."Son, sometimes it may seem dark, but the absence of the light is a necessary part."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to remember when life is rough that the rough times help me to acknowledge the really wonderful things in my life. I truly believe if life was always wonderful we as human beings would not appreciate it. I also acknowledge that what seems rough to me is a cake walk to others whose challenges are much greater. Having to talk to a teenager about something they don't agree with or want to hear is much better than not having the teenager there to talk to because they have left this world or your life. Hang in there! As Ann Mangrum used to say when we had teenagers, "My parents had teenagers and they are still alive." Hugs to you and Wendy!

    ReplyDelete